In 1952, Mound Park Hospital brought 251 beds of medical care to St. Petersburg.
The story of Bayfront begins in 1906 when Dr. J.D. Peabody led the construction effort to build a 15-bed clinic to serve as St. Petersburg’s first centralized health care facility. Only three years later a local reverend led a movement to build a public hospital that became the five-room bungalow referred to as Good Samaritan Hospital.
By 1910 the city had raised $10,000 in bond issues to build a 22-bed facility adjacent to the current Bayfront Health St. Petersburg, which would be called Augusta Memorial. The former Good Samaritan Hospital became a separate facility to serve the city’s African-American community.
It then became Mound Park Hospital, and for over 37 years grew increasingly larger. The construction maxed out at 725 beds, making Mound Park one of the finest hospitals in the southeastern United States at the time. At one point, Mound Park nurses even lived on campus in the former Roser Hall. The original 1923 building still stands and houses our chapel and offices.
Bayfront Medical Center was officially opened
In 1968, the city of St. Petersburg began contracting with Bayfront Medical Center Inc., a private, not-for-profit organization, to run Mound Park. By 1970, the hospital had once again been renamed, this time to Bayfront Medical Center.
During the mid-1980s a restructuring and renovation project focused on the development of a new emergency/trauma center; new intensive care, neurology and cardiac care units; and a new obstetrics program with perinatal and nursery facilities.
In 1986 Bayfront earned a Level II emergency/trauma center designation and implemented the Bayflite Emergency Helicopter Transport System. These programs served to put Bayfront on the map as the only trauma center in Pinellas County. The Bayflite program services 13 counties and is the only Medical Flight program in the southeastern United States to carry blood.
In April 2013, Bayfront launched a strategic partnership between Bayfront and Health Management Associates, in clinical and educational affiliation with Shands HealthCare. The hospital is now jointly owned by Health Management Associates and a newly formed private, not-for-profit organization called Bayfront Health Education & Research Organization (HERO). Bayfront now serves as the flagship hospital for an integrated care delivery network of seven hospitals along Florida’s Gulf Coast, from Brooksville in the North to Punta Gorda in the south.
We look forward to serving our now extended community for another century.